"Your posts will last for ever. With the average lifespan of a tweet less than 18 minutes and a Facebook post less than an hour, this is a big plus."
With more and more people joining Pinterest, attracted by its clean, visual layout and design, now is a great time to get started with it and here's seven reasons why...
1. Demographics. Pinterest is unique in the world of social media platforms, as its user base is predominantly female. This means if you have aspects of your business you'd like to target to women, this is definitely one of the key places to look at. This could range from weddings to ladies' nights.
2. Versatility. You set up your account and profile, like you would any other platform. But with Pinterest you can have different 'boards'. So one board could show off your food, another your function room, another your cocktails and another your staff. This last point is valuable - it gives your business a human touch, and means your Pinterest account tells the whole story about your business, not just promotional aspects. Other boards could include charities that you work with or clubs that meet at your pub.
3. Focus. Pinterest isn't like other platforms - it's predominantly a search-based platform. This is key for two reasons - that people who find you will likely have been searching for something you offer, and secondly, your posts will last for ever. With the average lifespan of a tweet less than 18 minutes and a Facebook post less than an hour, this is a big plus.
4. Easy of use. As a social media platform, it's so easy to use, with apps that allow you to swipe from one pin to the next, a clear search function and a very visual layout whether on mobile or desktop
5. Equality. Big-budget brands have access to exactly the same features you do. Think of a big name competitor to your business, and realise that on this platform, you have access to exactly the same tools.
6. Inspiration. Have a look at Pinterest and search 'pubs'. There's a ton of inspiration for you to utilise there - from what people have named their boards to styles of photos that prove popular. You may want to get a professional photographer in to do a shoot after seeing some of these and how appealing they make your business look.
7. Pub-friendly format. Over half its users (57 per cent) share or add pins about Food & Drink - this is the most popular topic to Pin about. And 25 per cent of users Pin about holidays and being a tourist.