Diageo is distributing 124,000 jam jar glasses to pubs and bars as part of its new #LetsCocktail campaign this summer.
The spirits giant says adding cocktails to a drinks menu can increase sales of spirit – one of the most profitable categories – by 36 per cent (CGA Cocktails Report 2014).
It and is encouraging licensees to get involved by providing PoS, new cocktail and mixed drink recipes, and the #LetsCocktail branded jam jar glasses.
"Summer is the perfect time for licensees to make the most of any outdoor space," said head of on-trade category development, Faith Holland.
"Make sure you consider all opportunities to amplify sales - from creating the perfect sharing pitcher, eye-catching PoS and inspiring menus, food promotions and even outdoor games, making sure every occasion in summer is covered."
Other advice includes offering various promotions, such as free sunscreen or discounted sharing plates with every pitcher, as well as offering table service outside. For the full list of tips, see below.
Drinkers will be encouraged to engage with the #LetsCocktail initiative via social media and the chance to win prizes through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
"People are no longer content with standard drink options; they're looking for new experiences and refreshing long drinks, especially over the summer," Faith said.
Diageo's Tips for Summer Sales:
1. Create inspiring serves
- Quirky vessels don't have to be expensive – how about pairing jam jars with a summer pitcher?
- Try putting your glasses in the fridge to keep them cold – and use plenty of ice!
- Always use fresh garnishes
2. Don't keep your customers guessing
- Use menus and back bar PoS to clearly communicate your summer drinks offering
- Displaying images of delicious finished drinks drives crave appeal
3. Look after your customers on hot days
- Make water more appealing by adding fresh strawberries or cucumber
- Offer free sunscreen with every pitcher purchased
- Run promotions on food e.g. sharing platters to go with pitchers
4. Make it the Great Outdoors
- Why not take table bookings outside as well?
- Offer table service to allow your customers make the most of the sunshine
- Providing outdoor games can create a memorable and unique experience