The Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport has given Grade II listing to five beautiful post-war pubs on the advice of Historic England.
The pubs include a Roman themed venue in the historic spa town of Bath, a Scunthorpe pub named after a furnace, a pub which acts as a memorial to a lifeboat disaster, and a pub designed with multiple corners to sit in.
The listings follow Historic England's research into the post-war period of pub design, where many were built in new housing estates to serve community needs. They were constructed before building restrictions were lifted in late 1954, meaning many were temporary or built for future extension.
Check out the five new pubs that have been listed below:
The Centurion, Twerton, Bath, Somerset
Built by 1965 by H.R. Robinson of West Country Breweries, this pub is part of the Twerton estate near Landsdown in Bath.
It is a themed pub, which were popular in the 1960s, and its name is the launching point for the decoration, including a large bronze sculpture of a Roman centurion and a statue of Julius Caesar in the lobby to the former buttery bar.
There is also a portion of Roman mosaic floor which hangs on the wall of the pub's entrance. It retains a number of original fittings including Formica veneer in the lounge bar, aluminium doors, and rubber seals, which formed part of a pressuring system to stop draughts.
The central core of the pub is a rectangular block of four floors, clad in reconstituted Bath stone.
The Crumpled Horn, Eldene, Swindon, Wiltshire
Commissioned by brewery Watney Mann as a Wessex Taverns house, it was designed by Roy Wilson-Smith, and opened in December 1975.
Roy was a keen supporter of themed pubs and made several for Watney Mann. It is now the only surviving example of the brewery's nursery rhyme themed pubs focusing on This is the House that Jack Built.
As is typical with Roy's pubs, it is multi-level and has an irregular eight-sided polygon with a single bar bar area taking an unsual 'nautilus shell' space.
This space creates intimate drinking areas on different levels, as well as reflecting the 'horn' of pub's name - a quotation from 'This is the House that Jack Built'.
The Never Turn Back, Caister-on-Sea, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
Opened in 1957, this is the only pub with this name in the UK, and is a memorial to the Caister Lifeboat disaster of 1901.
It was designed by architect A W Ecclestone, who worked for local brewery Lacon's. He focused on the use of traditional materials, such as flint and cobbles, and was informed by the Moderne and Art Deco styles, creative a distinctive local architecture.
The tower is designed in a form reminiscent of a ship's wheelhouse and a lookout tower, and has a half-height upholstered 'baffles' close to the doorways, which separate the flow of customers entering the room from those waiting at the bar.
The Queen Bess, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire
Opened in 1959, the Sam Smith's pub is named after a huge, record breaking blast furnace in the nearby Appleby-Frodingham steelworks.
The building has a brick exterior with plain tile roof covering, which was designed to complement the new nearby housing estates.
It still has a high number of original interior fixtures and fittings including the bar and back bars, seating, door joinery, and furniture.
The layout is also largely as originally designed, with three areas: the public bar, the lounge bar and a large third bar to the rear, the concert room.
The Wheatsheaf, Camberley, Surrey
Built in 1970 to the design of John and Sylvia Reid, it was planned as part of a commercial precinct in a new hosuing estate called Heatherside.
John and Sylvia were given a free reign in terms of style and form, and the pub's experimental design is testament to this fact. It has a decagonal ratchet-wheel layout, around a central chimney column.
Understanding pub goers want to either be in a large group or in intimate booths, they created a single open bar space with as many alcoves as possible.
The pub still has typical 1970s fitting today including woodwool celing panels, exposed brick, and quarry tiles. The design was celebrated in the architectural press when it opened - but is sadly the only remaining pub from the couple.