Carlsberg's annual Consumer Insights Report has been released and it seems the pub trade remains under pressure as people look to other leisure activities to fill their free time (over 35s are just as likely to visit a coffee shop as a pub these days, while younger people are just as likely to visit the gym or go shopping).
Nothing new there then.
It also suggests that, among young people especially, pub goers are becoming less loyal and visiting more and more venues rather than sticking to one or two favoured outlets.
Helpfully, however, the report, complied via s survey of 1,800 people, also shone a light why people choose a venue, so here's 7 ways you can stay ahead of the competition:
1. 79 per cent of people consider the quality of the food to be the most important factor in choosing a pub.
2. 70 per cent of people think staff friendliness is one of the most important things to consider when choosing which pub to go to.
3. 75 per cent of pub goers watch the football.
That makes the sport one of the biggest opportunities to draw in customers.
You could have tried to get your hands on the actual Premier League Trophy for your bar of course, but also think about trying to extend the time they stay in your pub – 65 per cent arrive 30 minutes before the game and leave at the final whistle, according to the research. Think about offering pre-bookable tables, table service and post-match events.
5. 33 per cent of adults visit pubs with their children each month
Families are an increasingly important part of the market. Look at how Harvester and JD Wetherspoons are capitalising on the market, with our guide here.
6. 81 per cent of those surveyed said they wanted to moderate their drinking.
We've said it before, we'll say it again, your soft drinks range needs attention. Think posh cordials, premium pressés and craft sodas.
7. The average person has five social media accounts
And spends a whopping 1 hour and 40 minutes checking them each day. Making sure you pub is visible and working hard for you in this space is an essential part of modern business. Yes, its daunting but our #pubsgetonline campaign website is here to help with a plethora of tips, advice and inspiration.