The Society of Independent Brewers (SIBA) business award winners have been announced, including the UK's best craft beer bars, in association with Inapub.
This year we joined forces with SIBA for its Business Awards to try and find the UK's best craft beer bar. There were two categories, city and rural, and we received a record number of entries for each.
Our editor Robyn sat on the judging panel for all the awards but said that these two categories attracted some of the best entries and was a particularly tough category to judge due to the quality of the pubs and bars involved.
In the end The Cove, Kingsbridge, Devon took home the crown for best craft beer bar (rural) for showing that "quality craft beer and a modern yet approachable aesthetic can be delivered to great effect in rural as well as city locations."
In the city category Wigan Central, Wigan, won it for its "laser focus on quality, local draught brews as well as extensive international bottled 'beer library.'"
In other categories, East London's Signature Brew was named brewery business of the year at the awards, which were presented at BeerX 2018 in Liverpool.
Signature Brew impressed judges across a range of awards categories, winning the marketing implementation category as well as the brewery business of the year award, and stood out for their 'fresh ideas, keen business acumen and genuinely unique approach to running a brewing business'.
Other winners were St Albans' Farr Brew in the green business category, North Brewing Co in the business innovation category for their export operations which utilised collaboration beers to great effect, and Fourpure in the commercial achievement category for their growth and vision over the last twelve months.
SIBA chief executive, Mike Benner, said: "The quality and quantity of entries this year was simply staggering and to be named a winner in the awards represents a huge achievement for these breweries – they really are the best of the best in terms of passion, innovation and excellence in the independent craft brewing industry.
The SIBA Business Awards received a huge 60% increase in entries this year.
Full list of winners:
• Brewery Business of the Year: Signature Brew
• Marketing Implementation: Signature Brew
• Green Business: Farr Brew
• Business Innovation: North Brewing Co
• Commercial Achievement: Fourpure Brewing Co
• Best Individual Design: Loch Lomond Brewery - Dr Peppercorn
• Best Concept Design: Leigh on Sea Brewery
• Supplier Associate of the Year: Lemon Top Creative
• UK's Best Independent Craft Beer Retailer – Multiple: Waitrose
• UK's Best Independent Craft Beer Retailer – Single: Hop Burns & Black
• UK's Best Independent Craft Beer Restaurant: Ceabahr (Bun Dubh)
• Best Independent Craft Beer Promotion - On-trade: Wetherspoons Craft Beer & Real Ale
• UK's Best Independent Craft Beer Bar or Pub – City: Wigan Central, Lancashire
• UK's Best Independent Craft Beer Bar or Pub – Rural: The Cove, Devon