The winner, brewed by the Siren Brewery, was revealed at the first day of the Great British Beer Festival today.
The 6.5 per cent ABV brew won over the judges with its "deep and complex blend of chocolate, coffee and a touch of smoke." The judges commented that it stood out for its aroma, taste and finish, all of which were superb.
Silver went to a barley wine from Suffolk's Green Jack brewery. Ripper is an 8.5 per cent "smooth and yet well-hopped" brew. Bronze was taken by Workie Ticket, a complex and tasty 4.5 per cent ABV bitter, from Tyne & Wear's Mordue brewery.
Nick Boley, CAMRA's national director said: "Congratulations to Siren Brewery for taking home the Champion Beer of Britain award with their Broken Dream Breakfast Stout - the highest beer accolade in the country. This is a distinctive, strong, well-balanced stout from an outstanding craft brewery. If there is any beer in the world that is dangerously drinkable, it's this one!"
While Siren Brewery founder, Darron Anley,added: "What a huge achievement that the Champion Beer of Britain is a heavy stout with coffee and lactose flavours in the midst of such warm summer weather! Broken Dream Breakfast Stout is one of our core beers and one of the first beers we ever brewed - we're absolutely delighted."
All of the beers to make the competition final will be available to taste at the Great British Beer Festival this week (August 7 to 11 at London Olympia).
See below for the full list of winners:
Champion Beer of Britain 2018 - overall winners
- Gold Siren Craft's Broken Dream Breakfast Stout Bar B17 Berkshire
- Silver Green Jack's Ripper Bar B7 Suffolk
- Bronze Mordue's Workie Ticket Bar B7 Tyne & Wear
Champion Beer of Britain 2018 - category winners
- Gold: Greene King's XX Mild
- Silver: Rhymney's Dark
- Bronze: East London Brewery's Orchid Bar
- Gold: Orkney's Red MacGregor Bar B2 Northern Isles
- Silver: Mighty Oak's Captain Bob Bar B18 Essex
- Joint Bronze: Bank Top's Flat Cap and Acorn's Barnsley Bitter Bar B6
- Gold: Mordue's Workie Ticket Ba
- Silver: Bishop Nick's 1555
- Joint Bronze St Austell's Tribute and Salopian's Darwin's Origin
- Gold: Salopian's Oracle
- Silver: Salopian's Hop Twister
- Joint Bronze: Abbeydale's Moonshine and Windsor + Eaton's Knight of the Garter
- Gold: Fuller's Dark Star's Revelation
- Silver: Bay's Devon Dumpling
- Bronze Kinver's Half Centurion
- Gold: Colchester's Brazilian Coffee and Vanilla Porter
- Silver: Cromarty's Red Rocker
- Bronze: Derventio's Cleopatra
Champion Beer of Britain 2018 winners:
Porter: Red Cat's Mr M's Porter
Stout: Siren Craft's Broken Dream Breakfast Stout
Barley Wines & Strong Old Ales: Green Jack's Ripper
Old Ales & Strong Milds: Gold Tintagel's Excalibur